AMERICORPS MEMBER POSITION DESCRIPTION
Communities In Schools of Greater New Orleans is currently seeking individuals interested in becoming an AmeriCorps Member for the 2014-2015 school year. AmeriCorps Members contribute to the CIS mission by serving full-time within a New Orleans public school for a service term of 10 months.
AMERICORPS MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Daily in-class supplemental academic and behavioral supports
- One-on-one or small group pull-outs to address the specific needs and goals of students that could benefit from additional individualized attention and services
- One-on-one or small group mentoring with a minimum of 3 students for a minimum of one hour/week
- Planning and implementation of asset building programs, including: service-learning projects, field trips, guest speakers, book distributions, etc.
- Tracking and entering data on student progress
- Attendance of required professional development and trainings
REQUIRED SKILLS AND INTERESTS:
- College degree
- Strong interest in education, youth work, social services or related fields
- Ability to work well with diverse types of people
- Eagerness to help disadvantaged young people improve academically and behaviorally
- Commitment to public service
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Ability to multitask and handle potentially stressful situations calmly and appropriately
- Access to reliable transportation
- $13,000 total living stipend
- $5,550 education award upon successful completion of service. The award can be used toward qualified educational expenses
- Health care
August 1, 2014 - June 1, 2015
Click on the following link to apply:
Prior to completing the application, be sure that you have downloaded Adobe Reader or Acrobat 8.0 or greater. Without Adobe Reader, you will be unable to submit the PDF form.
You can download the latest Adobe Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader/.